Many people have heard of the dangers of carbon monoxide, but there is some important information on the subject that you may not know. Are you and your family safe in your home? Have you taken precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a largely preventable situation, and being armed with the right information can prevent tragic consequences resulting from ingestion of the deadly gas:
- Carbon monoxide has no color, no odor, and no taste. Lethal amounts of carbon monoxide (CO) can accumulate when fuel is not burned properly, resulting in incomplete combustion of fossil fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood that are used in boilers, engines, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and more. You won’t be able to detect CO in your home by smelling or seeing.
- It’s vital that your home has good ventilation, your appliances are properly maintained at all times, and that you ALWAYS have working detector alarms installed. Many fire alarms and smoke alarms also will detect for carbon monoxide, but not all of them. If yours doesn’t or you aren’t sure whether yours do or not, strongly consider replacing them with new ones that do detect the deadly gas. They will send out visual and audible alarms when there is a build-up of CO to dangerous levels.
- Carbon monoxide exposure results in many different maladies, including: severe headaches, dizziness, nausea, convulsions, loss of consciousness and finally, death. This is all within a few hours of high exposure levels.
- To protect yourself and your family, it is crucial to maintain your appliances and check-ups and tune-ups are crucial, especially for your furnace. It’s recommended that you have an air conditioning and/or heating systems service in Redlands, CA perform preventive maintenance once per year on your HVAC system. Make sure appliances actually are vented properly. Never use charcoal grills indoors, and never use an unvented combustion heater overnight or in a room where you are sleeping. If you use a kerosene space heater, make sure there is adequate ventilation. Never leave your car running in a garage with the garage door down. Keep chimneys and fireplaces clean and always make sure your carbon monoxide alarms are properly working and batteries are not low.
Sanborn’s Air Conditioning and Heating urges you to call us today to schedule an appointment for a check-up on your furnace and air conditioning system to ensure your unit is operating safely and properly. Contact us today – 5 Star Comfort for 4 Generations.