Have you ever tried plugging something into an outlet, only to find that it’s not working? The outlet might be considered “dead”. While it can be an inconvenience, many people don’t realize that a dead outlet can also be a fire hazard. In this blog, we’ll explore what causes a dead outlet, why a dead outlet is a fire hazard, and what you should do to protect your home and loved ones from fire hazards.

What Causes a Dead Outlet?

A dead outlet can be caused by many different things. Some of these factors include:

Faulty Wiring

A common cause of a dead outlet is faulty wiring, which can occur due to a variety of reasons such as improper installation, damage, or wear and tear. Loose connections or broken wires can prevent the outlet from functioning properly, leading to a dead outlet.

Circuit Overloading

Circuit overloading occurs when there are too many electrical devices or appliances connected to a circuit, causing it to draw more current than it was designed to handle. This can lead to tripped breakers or blown fuses, which can cause an outlet to stop working.

Outdated or Damaged Electrical Components

Electrical components such as outlets and switches can become outdated or damaged over time. For example, an outlet may stop working due to a worn-out or broken internal mechanism or due to corrosion of the electrical contacts. Outdated components may not be equipped to handle the energy demands of modern devices and can lead to a dead outlet when overloaded.

If you have an older home, there’s a higher chance of experiencing dead outlets, as wiring and other electrical components deteriorate over time. In addition, if you live in an area that experiences a lot of lightning strikes or power surges, that can also contribute to dead outlets.

What Should You Do If You Have a Dead Outlet?

First, you’ll want to check the circuit breaker to make sure that there isn’t a tripped circuit breaker, which would cut off power to that particular outlet. If the breaker is fine, then it’s time to inspect the outlet itself to see if there are any obvious signs of damage, such as burn marks, or if the outlet is loose. If you’re not comfortable inspecting the outlet, it’s best to consult an electrician to pinpoint the issue.

Is a Dead Outlet a Fire Hazard?

Yes, a dead outlet is a fire hazard. That’s because a dead outlet can indicate that there’s a break in the wiring somewhere. This break could be caused by frayed, loose wires or damaged components. When electricity flows through these damaged components, it can create an electrical arc, which can produce heat, sparks, or flames. This is why it’s important to take a dead outlet seriously and to address the problem right away.

The best solution to protect your home from potential electrical fires is to have a licensed electrician inspect your electrical components regularly. For older homes, you may want to consider upgrading the electrical components to ensure that they’re up-to-date and working efficiently. Additionally, if you experience frequent power surges or lightning strikes, surge protectors can help to safeguard your electrical devices and avoid the risk of a dead outlet.

Contact Sanborn’s for Electrical Outlet Replacement in Redlands, San Bernardino, and the Inland Empire

Protect your home from the threat of an electrical fire by having any dead outlets replaced. Whether you need to install a standard 15A, 120-volt outlet, a GFCI outlet, or any other type of receptacle, Sanborn’s can help. Get in touch with our team today to schedule an appointment.