Be Sure Your Furnace or Heater Tune Up Includes These Tasks!
Before overnight lower temperatures arrive be sure to complete the furnace tune up checklist! The what? The furnace tune up checklist covers the essential maintenance care your heating system needs each year. Furnace maintenance has many purposes, including:
- Helps the furnace operate with better energy efficiency, which saves money on heating bills
- Improves the performance of the heating system for better indoor comfort
- Remedies minor issues to help avoid breakdowns during heating season
- Enhances the safety of the heating system and risks to air quality
- Helps increase heating system service life
Furnace Tune Up Checklist
Now that you know why the furnace tune up checklist is so important, learn what’s involved. The furnace tune up checklist covers essential care for all components of the heating system.
A thorough furnace tune up checklist includes the following services:
- Lubricate motor bearings and other moving parts
- Check and adjust fan belt tension
- Voltage and current checks
- Tighten all electrical connections
- Inspect heat exchanger
- Test exhaust system
- Inspect and clean burner
- Verify and adjust gas pressure
- Test ignition system
- Check connections to gas or oil lines
- Test and verify system controls
- Inspect condensate drain and clear, if needed
- Clean interior and exterior of the furnace
- Change air filter
- Test carbon monoxide levels
- Inspect and calibrate the thermostat
Do I Need a Furnace Tune Up Every Year?
The furnace tune up checklist is an overlooked part of home maintenance for some homeowners. Many wonder if it’s really necessary to have a tune up performed each year. This is a common question especially if their furnaces seem to operate just fine or if they’re relatively new.
The truth is, your furnace experiences wear and tear over the course of a heating season. Operation puts stress on components, and eventually hinders system performance. This decreases reliability and efficiency. Even though you didn’t notice an issue last year, if you skip maintenance you may when you turn your furnace on this year.
Unmaintained furnaces typically experience more repair needs and don’t last as long as those who receive annual furnace tune up checklist care. Owners of neglected furnaces are at risk of more frequent repair bills, higher energy bills, and far less comfort.
Finally, many manufacturers require regular maintenance by a qualified HVAC technician as a condition of the warranty. Don’t lose warranty coverage due to equipment neglect!
Sanborn’s skilled HVAC technicians perform thorough heating system maintenance on all types of equipment, including furnaces, ductless and heat pumps. Our comprehensive furnace tune up checklist ensures all system components receive the attention they need to safely and properly operate.
Make Furnace Maintenance Easy
We want to make furnace tune ups a priority in your home with our 5 Star Comfort Plan. We know it’s easy to forget so our Preventive Maintenance Agreements help homeowners stay on top of annual maintenance visits! Never skip fall maintenance again because you forgot to call. We schedule your appointment when it’s time, complete your maintenance tune up, and give you other great savings throughout the year.
Furnace Barely Make it Through Last Winter?
If your furnace is more than ten years old or has had more repairs than you can remember, think about furnace replacement. Maybe you moved into a home and don’t know whether you have a heat pump or a furnace. Don’t worry, it’s pretty common! Regardless, the former owners may have neglected heating services.
Give us a call and we’ll perform a comprehensive inspection. Even if the heating system is a couple years old, it will help you have a baseline of its performance and status.
If you’re interested in a new furnace, ductless unit or maybe zoned heating and cooling, we’re happy to provide a free estimate. We’ll visit, take measurements, perform calculations and ask about your household needs and energy goals. We’ll provide recommendations to improve your heating and air system.
Plus, we offer finance options which make it easy to upgrade. Enjoy greater comfort and lower energy bills while you spread out the payments.
BONUS! DIY Furnace Maintenance
The easiest things you can do at home to take care of your furnace are:
- Invest in a maintenance plan to stay on schedule for regular service.
- Check your air filter every month and change it as needed. For most households, a new filter every two to three months is fine. Exceptions include houses with smokers, pets, members sensitive to pollen and other allergens. Those households benefit from more frequent filter changes.
- Keep good airflow around your outdoor condenser unit. Trim away vegetation and any threatening tree branches. Keep a buffer zone of two to three feet around your outdoor unit. If you see evidence of rodents or insect activity, call pest control before they nest inside your HVAC system or chew wiring.
Have Sanborn’s Take Care of Your Furnace Tune Up Checklist!
Don’t skip your annual furnace tune up checklist! Schedule your preventive maintenance visit with Sanborn’s and get your heating system the professional attention it needs for better performance, efficiency, and comfort. Contact us today to book your furnace tune up!