When it comes to advice about air conditioning during the hot summer months, there is plenty out there. Some tips can be helpful,others not so much. Sanborn’s Air Conditioning & Heating wants to make sure you know the difference between fact and fiction, so here are some of the common myths we often hear:
- Air conditioning units don’t need inspection or service unless something is wrong. Don’t fix it if it ain‘t broke does not apply to air conditioners. Regular preventative maintenance is the best way to take care of your system and ensure it doesn’t leave you lacking for comfort during the dog days of summer.
- It’s cheaper to leave the thermostat at the same temperature all day. Actually, it’s not a good idea to set it and forget it. Install a programmable thermostat, which allows you to schedule the system to cool (or not) on your schedule.
- When it’s time to buy, a large A/C system will cool your house better with less effort and cost. Bigger is not necessarily better. What is more important is matching the right central A/C system to your home, based on the size of your home and your financial situation.
- Switching the air conditioner off when nobody’s home will save money. While this might sound like a good idea, it is actually counterproductive. It takes much more energy to cool down a hot house than maintaining a constant temperature all day. If you want to save money, try turning up the thermostat around five or seven degrees before leaving each day.
- For faster cooling, set the temperature below what you want it to be. Sounds logical, but air conditioning systems systems cool at a set rate. Setting the temperature lower will not make it cool faster.
Advice is nice, but make sure you get it from HVAC professionals. Call us today for system analysis, inspection and maintenance to stay cool all summer.