Air conditioning problems happen when you least expect them. During the summer, California gets too hot to mess around with a broken air conditioner. Sanborn’s Air Conditioning & Heating understands the need for solutions to common problems. With these tips, your air conditioning quality instantly increases.
Common Air Conditioning Problems
Some problems are more common than others when it comes to an air conditioning unit. If you notice these issues, further action must be taken.
AC blows hot air
Your air conditioner blows hot air for a number of reasons. First, confirm the thermostat settings reflect current outdoor temperatures. Next, air dirty air filters prevent the unit from properly cooling the air. Check them monthly and change as needed. More serious causes, like refrigerant leaks, must be handled by professionals.
Again, this points to thermostat issues. A thermostat in direct sunlight often blows cooler air than necessary. If you have multiple thermostats in your home, then each one must be in similar conditions to produce a regular air temperature throughout the house. Additionally, older units tend to have this problem as their system becomes outdated.
If your home’s architecture or age is an issue, you may enjoy a ductless air conditioner or heat pump. These quiet, energy-efficient and modern units provide a boost of cooling without connecting to ductwork.
This gives you increased control (with a remote!) over specific zones of your home. You can even replace your central heating with multiple ductless units. Depending on the model, up to six indoor air handlers can connect to one outdoor AC compressor unit.
Poor air quality
More often than not, dirty filters and dusty surroundings contribute to poor indoor air quality. If you notice yourself sneezing, itching, or coughing more often, you probably have air quality problems. Cooling units circulate clean air to the best of their ability, but when parts are excessively dirty, they are unable to do the job.
Breakdowns that come out of nowhere tend to stem from prolonged periods of no maintenance. Air conditioning units require annual service to stay up to date. If you use a heat pump, be sure to schedule preventive maintenance twice a year.
Easy Solutions for Air Conditioning Problems
Fortunately for homeowners all over California, the solutions to these problems are relatively easy. Use these tips to combat any common air conditioning problem.
- Change filters. First and foremost, change your filters. Filters need to be checked once a month—at least—for the best results. Change when clogged, dirty, or during high pollen seasons.
- New filters have the potential to fix hot air problems, uneven temperatures, and poor air quality. Even if this quick fix doesn’t solve all of these problems, the air quality definitely improves after you replace the filter.
- Adjust the thermostat. This goes beyond an adjustment of settings. Make sure thermostats are out of direct sunlight with a small cover for the device. Sunlight impacts how thermostats read environmental temperatures, so make sure they stay in a dim area to prevent uneven temperatures.
- Clean around the unit. Dust collected near the unit actually lowers air quality. Air conditioning problems like this require close attention to the environment. Dirt and dust near your unit contribute to poor air quality, so make sure to clean regularly.
- Schedule regular maintenance. Lastly, service to your air conditioner prevents all of these problems and more. Sudden breakdowns happen when air conditioning systems are out of date.
- Keep everything updated to ensure the air conditioner doesn’t have any sudden breakdowns. Neglect often voids warranties, so take advantage of preventive maintenance plans.
Contact Us: We’re Here to Solve Air Conditioning Problems
Air conditioning problems happen, but these easy solutions ensure the quality of your unit. Functional air conditioning is a necessity in Redlands, California, so make sure yours works as it should.
At Sanborn’s Air Conditioning & Heating, we help you achieve the best air quality possible. Call us today for a free serviced estimate and to schedule your maintenance.
Our team of qualified HVAC pros serves the Riverside and San Bernardino county areas including Fontana, Beaumont, Calimesa, Banning, Moreno Valley, Yucaipa, Loma Linda, East Highland, Rialto, Grand Terrance and Redlands, California.